Introduction: Intraperitoneal and retroperitoneal hemorrhages may occur simultaneously in blunt abdominal trauma (BAT) patients. These patients undergo emergency laparotomies because of concomitant unstable hemodynamics and positive sonographic examination results. However, if the associated retroperitoneal hemorrhage is found intraoperatively and cannot be controlled surgically, then the patients require post-laparotomy transcatheter arterial embolization (TAE). In the current study, we attempted to determine the risk factors for post-laparotomy TAE. Materials and methods: Patients with concomitant BAT and unstable hemodynamic were retrospectively analyzed. The characteristics of the patients who underwent laparotomy or who required post-laparotomy TAE were investigated and compared. The Tile classification system was used to evaluate the pelvic fracture patterns. Results: Seventy-four patients were enrolled in the study. Fifty-nine (79.7%) patients underwent laparotomy to treat intra-abdominal hemorrhage, and fifteen (20.3%) patients underwent additional post-laparotomy TAE because of concomitant retroperitoneal hemorrhage. Pelvic fracture was present in 80.0% of the post-laparotomy TAE patients. This percentage was significantly greater than that of the laparotomy only patients (80.0% vs. 30.5%, p < 0.001). Furthermore, 30 patients (40.5%, 30/74) had concomitant pelvic fracture diagnoses. Of these patients, eighteen (60%, 18/30) underwent laparotomy only, while the other twelve patients (40%, 12/30) required post-laparotomy TAE. Compared with the patients who underwent laparotomy only, more patients with Tile B 1 -type pelvic fractures (58.3% vs. 11.1%, p = 0.013) required post-laparotomy TAE. Conclusion: Regarding BAT patient management, the likelihood of post-laparotomy TAE should be considered in patients with concomitant pelvic fractures. Furthermore, more attention should be directed toward patients with Tile B 1 -type pelvic fractures because of the specific fracture pattern and impaction force.
ASJC Scopus subject areas