Aims. There are two phases of insulin secretion, the first (FPIS) and second phase (SPIS). In this study, we built equations to predict FPIS with metabolic syndrome (MetS) components and fasting plasma insulin (FPI). Methods. Totally, 186 participants were enrolled. 75% of participants were randomly selected as the study group to build equations. The remaining 25% of participants were selected as the external validation group. All participants received a frequently sampled intravenous glucose tolerance test, and acute insulin response after the glucose load (AIRg) was obtained. The AIRg was considered as FPIS. Results. When MetS components were only used, the following equation was built: log (FPIS) = 1.477-0.119 × fasting plasma glucose (FPG) + 0.079 × body mass index (BMI)-0.523 × high-density lipoprotein cholesterol (HDL-C). After FPI was added, the second equation was formulated: log (FPIS) = 1.532-0.127 × FPG + 0.059 × BMI-0.511 × HDL-C + 0.375 × log (FPI), which provided a better accuracy than the first one. Conclusions. Using MetS components, the FPIS could be estimated accurately. After adding FPI into the equation, the predictive power increased further. We hope that these equations could be widely used in daily practice.
|Journal||International Journal of Endocrinology|
|Publication status||Published - 2015|
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism
- Endocrine and Autonomic Systems