Background To determine the survival of patients with stroke for up to 10 years after a first-time stroke and to investigate whether stroke rehabilitation within the first 3 months reduced long-term mortality in these patients. Methods We used the medical claims data for a random sample of 1 million insured Taiwanese registered in the year 2000. A total of 7767 patients admitted for a first-time stroke between 2000 and 2005; 1285 (16.7%) received rehabilitation within the first 3 months after stroke admission. The other 83.3% of patients served as a comparison cohort. A Cox proportional hazards model was used to estimate the relative risk of mortality in relation to the rehabilitation intervention. Results In all, 181 patients with rehabilitation and 1123 controls died, representing respective mortality rates of 25.0 and 32.7 per 1000 person-years. Rehabilitation was significantly associated with a lower risk of mortality (hazard ratio.68, 95% confidence interval.58-.79). Such a beneficial effect tended to be more obvious as the frequency of rehabilitation increased (P for the trend <.0001) and was more evident in female patients. Conclusions Stroke rehabilitation initiated in the first 3 months after a stroke admission may significantly reduce the risk of mortality for 10 years after the stroke.

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)1414-1422
Number of pages9
JournalJournal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Diseases
Issue number6
Publication statusPublished - Jun 1 2015


  • Stroke
  • cohort study
  • mortality
  • rehabilitation

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Clinical Neurology
  • Cardiology and Cardiovascular Medicine
  • Rehabilitation
  • Surgery


Dive into the research topics of 'Stroke rehabilitation and risk of mortality: A population-based cohort study stratified by age and gender'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this